Known World Choirs at Pennsic
What is the Known World Choir?The Known World Choir (KWC) is a group of people from across the Kingdoms of the SCA who love to sing a cappella choral music from the Middle Ages and Renaissance. Singers gather, rehearse, and perform at major SCA wars like Estrella, Lilies, and Pennsic.
The Known World Choirs at Pennsic are also known as the Pennsic Choirs.
The Pennsic Choirs
The Pennsic Choir has a decades-long tradition of performing medieval and renaissance choral music at the Pennsic War. In recent years it has expanded into four Pennsic Choirs, each with its own director.
The choirs perform a joint concert on Thursday, August 9, in the Performing Arts Tent. Warmup is at 6:00 pm at the European Dance Tent; the performances begin at 6:30 pm in the following order: Children's Choir, Youth Choir, Chorulus Pennsicus, Pennsic Choir.
Most rehearsals take place in the PARC / Performing Arts Rehearsal & Class Tent, located next to the Amphitheater (on the map, it's the rectangle under the letter "r" in "Amphitheater.")
- The Pennsic Choir is an open choir for anyone able to attend a 2-hour daily rehearsal and sing moderately complex choral music.
- There is no audition, and participants do not need to know how to sight-sing.
- If you would like to sing with the Pennsic Choir, please pre-register. Pre-registration is not required, but is appreciated since it helps the director to plan.
- All music is posted on the Known World Choir website, in the form of both sheet music and audio files, for singers to practice on their own.
- Rehearsals: 12 noon - 2 pm from Thursday, August 2nd through Wednesday, August 8th. Dress Rehearsal is on Thursday, August 9th and the Concert is that evening.
- Pennsic Choir Director for Pennsic 47: TH Lady Pia Maletesta d'Rimini
- Chorulus Pennsicus is an audition-based choir of 8-16 voices, which performs more complex and challenging music than the
full Pennsic Choir.
- To participate, you must audition for the director, which can be done via audio/video. See the Known World Choir website for more information.
- Unlike the other three choirs, Chorulus Pennsicus rehearses in a private camp on the Serengeti.
- Rehearsals: 4:00 – 5:00 pm from Saturday, August 4th through Wednesday, August 8th. Dress Rehearsal is on Thursday, August 9th and the Concert is that evening.
- Auditions for next year's Chorulus Pennsicus will be listed in the Pennsic University Class Schedule.
- Chorulus Pennsicus Director for Pennsic 47: Mistress Gianetta Andreini da Vicenza
- The Pennsic Youth Choir is an open choir for children ages 12-19 who can attend a one-hour daily rehearsal.
The Youth Choir performs rounds and part-songs in 2 or 3 parts.
- Rehearsals: 11:00 am - 12:00 noon from Sunday, August 5th through Wednesday, August 8th. Dress Rehearsal is on Thursday, August 9th and the Concert is that evening.
- Pennsic Youth Choir Director for Pennsic 47: TH Lady Rachel Dalicieux
- The Pennsic Children's Choir is an open choir for children under age 12 who can focus for a one-hour daily rehearsal.
The Children's Choir performs rounds and other songs in 1 or 2 parts.
- A parent or other responsible adult (not the choir director) must attend rehearsals with their children.
- Rehearsals: 10:00 am – 11:00 am from Sunday, August 5th through Wednesday, August 8th. Dress Rehearsal is on Thursday, August 9th and the Concert is that evening.
- Pennsic Children's Choir Director for Pennsic 47: Mistress Deonna Von Aachen