As promised, I am sending this message out to keep you all informed as to how we are progressing to Pennsic 49. The reason for the update is so that you are able to walk the decision-making path with me in a clear and transparent manner and know the rationale behind any decisions we, the Pennsic Management Team are making.
First of all, I want you to all know that we are still planning for Pennsic 49 in 2021. I want to make it very clear that we are “planning” not holding Pennsic 49 next week, as we are still months away from either the Pennsic 49 decision date at the end of May or the Pennsic War event itself.
Let me explain for those that have never seen behind the running of a major event like Pennsic... it does take a lot of planning and organization. We can’t just start organizing it at the end of June and get it all in place. The Pennsic War Management Staff and I as Mayor of Pennsic start the process two years out from the Pennsic War we are running. I won’t go through all the boring administrative details, but it is a long and well-managed process.
However, you need to be assured that I will adopt the same fact-based and health-informed approach to the planning for Pennsic 49 this year, as I did last year. I fully understand the concerns you all have about any large event at this time, but I still need to continue the planning required well ahead of the event itself.
The same timeline will be adopted again for this year, as it was for last year and we have a decision date which at this stage is at the end of May 2021, give or take a week. We still have just under 6 months till Pennsic 49, and I am prepared to support the PSG and deliver the hard call if need be, the same as I did last year. Note the SCA Inc has currently suspended all SCA events until May 30, 2021. Those types of decisions are out of my control.
I also want you to understand that we are much further ahead this year regarding our knowledge of COVID-19 than we were at the same time last year. And yes, we are fully aware that mutant strains are evolving and that vaccines are being rolled out. However, these things need to be observed and evaluated over the next few months, and consideration given as to what effect they are having on the COVID 19 health overlay nation and worldwide. This in itself will form a large part of our decision-making package and like last year will always be based on current, up to date, CDC plus local State and County Health information.
I will not endanger people or risk Pennsic 49 becoming a “Super-spreader Event” just for the sake of having an SCA event. I am fully aware that people have concerns. At this stage I again reiterate that we are “planning” for Pennsic 49, not running Pennsic 49 right now. You all trusted me last year and those of you that know me should know that I have no “ego” about being Mayor of Pennsic 49. I view myself as the custodian of the Pennsic War event, which encompasses the safety of attendees, organizers, staff and the public community that surrounds the Pennsic War. I will not risk any of these for the sake of swinging a stick, camping with friends, and having a few pints around a campfire.
I hope this update helps you all understand the process we are going through. I will keep you updated with future posts when new information is available.
Everyone, please keep safe.
It has come to our attention that some Land Agents and/or groups are concerned of the potential loss of a year of seniority for their group if they do not attend Pennsic War 49. We would not want a person or group to feel obligated to attend PW49 if due to COVID-19 health or travel restrictions, they are not able to attend. This is especially true as we cannot predict what restrictions may be in place when PW49 is in progress. As such, we will not be awarding a year of seniority for any of the groups who ultimately attend PW49. This assures that no group will receive any type of seniority advantage for having had the opportunity and desire to attend Pennsic where the COVID 19 restrictions would not prevent them from doing so.
Copyright 2020 - Website Designed and Updated by Lord Randver Kveld-Ulfr